What To Do and Where To Go:
Most often those accused of Karo-Kari have little time to save their lives, so any action to save lives need to be swift. Your first step is to make yourself safe from attack. In most Karo-Kari cases on
ce the jirga has announced its decision, safety of life is the first concern.
- Seek shelter as soon as possible at Panah Shelter Home. Open from9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Or Edhi Shelter at their Head Office, which is open 24 hours.
- Call Madadgaar Helpline between 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM and ask them for help or guidance to send you to a shelter in an emergency.
- If you need to leave home in an emergency and have nowhere to go, go to the emergency ward of one of the major hospitals with 24-hourlarge and crowded emergency sections. This helps you be less visible and vulnerable. Stay there until it becomes possible for you to call from one of the public pay phones (PCO) at the hospital and get to the Shelter as soon as you can.
- Call or go to the CPLC Head Office, which is open 24 hours a day, and ask for help, protection and to register your complaint.
- Call APWA Helpline between 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM for legal help & advice from a lawyer right away on the phone and ask the lawyer to take your case. They often provide services free of cost or at a reduced rate.
- Record your statement in court. Shelters or organizations supporting you can provide legal help and referrals.
- If you feel you need a psychologist to help you come out of your fear and trauma, PMA Pakistan Medical Association provides a referral to survivors of violence.
- Sindh Police have set up anti-Karo Kari cells in four districts of the province: Sukkur, Ghotki, Khairpur and Naushero Feroz.
Helpline number: 111-123-588
If you received injuries before you left home, follow this procedure:
- Go to the CPLC Head Office and ask them to give you a letter to the police surgeon or for the WMLO (Woman Medico Legal Officer)
- Have yourself examined by a WMLO at JPMC, Civil Hospital or at Abbasi Shaheed Hospital in case you need proof of hurt inflicted upon you.
- Ensure that all injuries are recorded and photographed.
- Collect the report on the date and time on which you are instructed. This is report is very important if you choose legal recourse.
- Liaqat General Hospital offers medical help to survivors of violence through their Welfare service.
Once you or the woman under attack is out of immediate danger, it is advisable to contact organizations that provide support for survivors of violence. They are familiar with procedures to follow in such situations, can provide basic needs like shelter and food, and are able to refer you to legal, medical and psychological services.